- Right... Immediate response at the pub needs my attention..Laters crew ;-) 4 hours ago
- @DetChSupJardine I'm easily bought 4 hours ago
- @CCLeicsPolice @leicspolice @DCCLeicsPolice @AccOLeicsPolice @SuzHoulihan umm 'Enthusiastic expression of praise or approval'? Did I win? 4 hours ago
- @ChuckFinlay @SuzHoulihan wasn't that a famous wooden ship? #Anchorman 4 hours ago
- @CCLeicsPolice @leicspolice @DCCLeicsPolice @AccOLeicsPolice @SuzHoulihan It was to get 55% more plaudits thn during the same period last yr 4 hours ago
- Angry Driver
- Take The Targets Test!
- How To Win Any Argument
- My Trip to America – A Systems Thinker’s Diary
- Right Measures, Measured Right
- ‘Tis Not The Season…
- The People vs The System
- The Six Greatest Myths of All Time
- How To Spoil A Perfectly Good Car
- What’s Your Poison?
- Message From The Skies
- Twitter Auction of a Signed Copy of #intelligentpolicing for the COPS Charity
- How To Quit
- “It’s Complicated…”
- The Performance Swear Box
- Ant Death Circle
- Dial ‘F’ For Failure
- My Name is Bill King
- Finding the Source
- Ministry of Silly Systems
- One Thing Leads To Another
- Play Your Cards Right
- Do Something Different
- This Time Last Year
- Must Try Harder
- A System Fit For Heroes
- Barking Up The Wrong Tree
- Free Beer!
- On Purpose
- The Bells! The Bells!
- Spot The Difference
- Get Back! Stay Back!
- Pull The Other One
- Oh Deer
- Life in the Fast Lane
- Epic Fail
- Great Expectations
- Equally Wrong
- Troubled Thinking
- Poo-Pooing Performance Indicators
- Toilet Humour
- (Not So) Bad Performance Measurement On Tour (#3)
- Would You Like Sub-Optimization With That?
- Bad Performance Measurement on Tour (#2)
- Bad Performance Measurement on Tour (#1)
- How To Lose Weight With Systems Thinking
- Is That Large?
- Would You Sit Next To Me?
- 86,492 hits
Tag Archives: performance
GRUDGE MATCH!! In the red corner: “Our people are our greatest asset”. “The people ARE the system”. In the blue corner: “94% of performance comes from the system; 6% from the people”. Which is better? There’s only one way to … Continue reading
If you’re ever talking about performance and you hear any of these phrases coming out of your mouth… “…compared to this time last year / last month / last week / the average / the target / the other department, team or … Continue reading
On the train to work this morning, a friend told me about a fascinating phenomenon known as the ’Ant Death Circle’ (also called the ‘Ant Death Spiral’ or ‘Ant Mill’). What happens is that ants sometimes lose the pheromone track laid down for … Continue reading
‘Data have no meaning apart from their context’. – Donald Wheeler Cast your mind back to Episode One of this series. No beer, no food, no chillies; just trains. The examples provided in that blog post highlighted the dire (but … Continue reading
Maybe this is ill-timed, not being long after my ‘weight loss’ blog post, but here’s another story from the land of “Is that large?” In my defence, I was on a long journey and was so hungry when I stopped … Continue reading
Just one day after Episode One of this tragedy series, one of my faithful readers told me about a target so ridiculous that it would be laughable if it wasn’t so serious. During a hospital training session, those attending were … Continue reading
One of the key tenets of systems thinking is understanding variation. Deming said: “Life is variation. Variation there will always be, between people, in output, in service, in product”. This applies to weight loss as much as everything else. People … Continue reading
I never plan to write blog posts – ideas just tend to pop into my head when doing random stuff. Today was one of those days. What follows isn’t particularly exciting, shocking or controversial, and no doubt I will be … Continue reading
Okay, so those of you who have read my blogs will be familiar with my views on numerical targets in policing – in short I argue that they should all be abolished, without exception. This is because they generate perverse … Continue reading